Open pores or enlarged pores is one of the main concerns people have. Needless to say, this is the reason behind so many products available in the market targeting this concern. In this post, I will be covering
- What causes enlarged pores
- Common myths related to enlarged pores
- Taking care of Enlarged pores.
- Product recommendation
What causes enlarged pores
Everyone has pores on their face(you have skin, you have pores), pores secrete oils to keep the skin fresh. They allow sweat and oil to escape through your skin, which helps in keeping your body cool and getting rid of toxins. People with oily skin produce a large amount of oil which leads to visibly open pores. Genetics plays a huge role in pore size. You can be born with a large pore size. Aging is another sign for enlarged pores, as we age the skin stretches and the appearance of pores is more prominent. In these cases, there is no permanent remedy but certain ways to make your pores look small.
In addition to that sun damage, practices like using a harsh cleanser, and over-exfoliating cause the pore size to increase. Not exfoliating at all also causes the buildup of dead skin cells and oil which cause clogged pores thus resulting is what you do not want. You can avoid the appearance of large pores in this way.
Blackheads and whiteheads are the most common problem faced by people with large pores. They are nothing but clogged pores.
Common Myths Regarding Enlarged Pores
Your Pores Open And Close-: Pores cannot be closed, you can only improve the appearance. Steaming your face does not open your pores. It only helps in loosening any buildup. Applying ice cubes helps in blood circulation and the cooling effect of ice helps in temporary skin tightening.
Blackheads Are Trapped Dirt-: Blackheads are the result of oxidation of clogged pores. It has nothing to do with cleanliness. You should avoid over-washing your face to get rid of blackhead, this will only cause damage
Applying Makeup Will Clog Your Pores-: Using non-comedogenic makeup products will not clog your pores. Only the use of heavy makeup products with no skincare routine will clog your pores.
Taking care of enlarged pores-:
You cannot do much to change the genetics but take care of the other reasons. Enlarged pores have been associated with oily skin. Check out oily skincare routine here-: https://kaycietalks.com/skin/taking-care-of-oily-skin-affordable-oily-skincare-routine/
You can also have dry skin with enlarged pores.
Never avoid wearing sunscreen. Here are a few ways to take care of open pores-:
Quick fixes – Instantly give a smooth appearance and do nothing for the long term.
Using a silicone-based primer/ product– Silicone helps in filling up the pores giving a perfect smooth illusion. Silicone can be heavy for some people
Clay mask– Oily skin tends to make the pores look even bigger, so using a clay mask before any special event would do the job. Using a clay mask twice a week would also benefit your skin a lot.
Ingredients to look for in your beauty products-:
- Vitamin C– Vitamin c is the antioxidant you need for your face. Vitamin c helps in skin tightening, also boosts the collagen production in your body which will help in shrinking effect.
- Niacinamide– Niacinamide helps in skin elasticity and it has proven its efficacy for aging skin. Improved skin elasticity= Lesser appearance of pores
- Hyaluronic acid– It gives the much-needed hydration and hydrated skin has a natural plump effect.
- BHA– Beta hydroxy acids like salicylic acid, helps in dissolving the dead skin cells and are very much gentle exfoliators as compared to physical exfoliants. They are best suited for people with enlarged pores
Clinical procedures to reduce the appearance of pores (There is no clinical procedure that guarantees 100% success rate but you can achieve a 50-70% reduction in pore appearance)
- Microneedling – This involves the use of tiny needles on your face to increase the elasticity by boosting collagen. There are derma rolling tools that you can use at home as well (getting professional help is best)
- Chemical peels– Clinical procedure for chemical exfoliation with a potent solution.
- LED treatments-LED therapy helps in cell turnover and boosts collagen.
Dedicated skincare targeting enlarged pores will help you with blackheads and whiteheads. Fixes like using a pore strip will only get rid of the problem superficially and it will return back.
-: Be patient, It may take you anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to actually see results. Even after you see the result, keep following the routine, and adjust it to your needs. I am compiling a few products based on my research and from my personal experience. Here is an affordable routine to try at home-:
- Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Cleansing Foam, 100ml– With the goodness of tea tree and neem, it also has salicylic acid which is great for people with oily skin and enlarged pores.
- Neutrogena pore cleansing face wash and Kaya pore cleansing facewash – Both contain salicylic acid which is great for controlling oil
- Toner- witch hazel toner and Reequil toner – Both contain witch hazel which is known as a natural astringent for balancing skins natural pH and great for people with enlarged pores
- Rose clay – Using a clay-based mask helps in controlling excessive oil.
Apart from the toner and clay, I have not tried anything. if you want my personal reviews, I would like to try that for you. You can comment down below If you have any questions regarding this.